Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

No

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

No

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Powered by Blogger.

Implementing Daily 5 - Word Work


If you have been following my blog posts lately, I am writing about the different compoents of the
Daily 5 and how the first 5 days of each component can look in the classroom!  So today...I am writing about...WORD WORK!  *I can feel your excitement!* :)

Word Work is the center where students work on developing their skills in phonics and grammar with meaningful and purposeful work. 

This work should consist of many different kind of work that can be hands-on, differentiated, and targeted towards the phonics and grammar standards that students are learning in their Readers’ Workshop time.  Students can work to complete this center in a small group setting or they can work independently.  Putting in hands-on activities in this center can make it much more enjoyable for the students.  You can even crossover different subjects into this center.

Stephanie at 3rd Grade Thoughts and Reagan at Tunstall’s Teaching Tidbits have many awesome resources for Word Work depending on your grade level.

First 5 Days of Word Work


Day #1:

Surprise, suprise! I will bring all my students to a whole group lesson about the expectations of Word Work.  We will create another T-Chart together about what it looks like the when the "Students" are practicing Word Work and what the "Teacher" is doing during this time.  I will take a few moments to model what I want those expectations to look like, then I have the class model and practice those same expectations.  I then partner them up (just for practice) and have them go about into the room to find a place with their partner so we can practice our stamina.  We also graph this stamina.  When in 1st grade I started with 3 minutes but in 3rd grade we start with 5-6 minutes.

**You may notice that my friends in the picture are not necessarily sitting in the EEKK position, this was taken later on in the year after they had been practicing Read to Someone for quite sometime. :)

Day #2-5:

These last 4 days and on are usually just spent working on building our stamina.  If I ever see any of the paired students not following the expectations we have set for Read to Someone, I will either bring them back over to review the expecations or I can just correct it right there.  Either way, if we don't meet our stamina goal for the day, we try again the next day until we reach our ultimate goal of 20 minutes!

When implemented with fidelity, Daily 5 is amazing tool to use during your independent practice time inside your literacy block.  I will be posting more about the last 3 componenets of the Daily 5 framework very soon!  :)
Lizzie
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @Join me on Instagram